A major electricity supplier in South Africa’s largest city has suffered a ransomware attack, leaving some residents without power. The attack prevented prepaid customers from buying electricity units, uploading invoices when making payments, or accessing the City Power’s official website, eventually leaving them without power. How can you avoid harsh ransomware effects?
- Use a reputable EDR software and a firewall.
- Make sure that all systems and software are up-to-date with latest security patches.
- Segregate your network to limit the spread of the ransomware.
- Employ content scanning and filtering on your mail servers.
- Ensure that users’ permissions are set to the least privileged required.
- Constantly educate your users about the risks of opening random mail attachments.